Sunday, February 3, 2008

Media Day

I'm going to call yesterday 'Media Day' for two reasons. The first is because The Toronto Star ran an article about Ivey's trip to visit Warren Buffett in Omaha, in a special section devoted to MBA programs in Ontario. What I learned from that piece was that McGill (Montreal) and Rotman (Toronto), two of our respected competitors, are also making a similar trip this year. I have been led to believe that March 31st is Ivey Day with Warren. So, my assumption is that the other two schools are going at different times.

The second reason is that I spent two hours on YouTube, watching clips of Warren Buffett speaking to MBA students, journalists, and shareholders. I've already read a lot of his writings and books about value investing, but this was the first time that I had actually heard him speak. What strikes me about Mr. Buffett is the clarity of his thoughts and messages. I would love to see his weekly schedule/routine to find out just how much he reads. It must be volume and volumes, to be as well-informed, intuitive, and wise as he comes across. On top of that, he seems perfectly chipper at all times and excited about allocating capital.

Anyway, there's more good news to come in this blog, that I can't quite reveal yet, but involves a HUGE amount of support for our trip from Ivey...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hate to break it to you but I think it's the same day for all of the Canadian schools. Rotman has been doing this for years and they are always paired up with at least one other school.